What is MNT?
Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT), provided by a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, is an effective, low-cost way of helping individual’s maintain their health through nutrition. The MNT at Madison County Health Department offers nutrition counseling and education services for Pregnancy, Children, Adolescents, and Adults.
How do I set up an Appointment?
Please obtain a referral from your physician and call 828-649-3531 to schedule an appointment. Ask at your next WIC, prenatal, or other Health Department appointment about how MNT can benefit you and your health!
MNT Referral Sheet
What can MNT Help You With?
MNT can help with many health issues including:
- Weight Management
- Healthy eating and weight gain during pregnancy
- Weight loss after pregnancy
- Childhood Weight Management
- Healthy Childhood Weight Gain
- Diabetes Education
- High Cholesterol
- High Blood Pressure
- Disordered Eating
- Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Celiac’s Disease
- Crohn’s Disease
- And MORE!
What is Provided at My First Appointment?
Your first appointment of Medical Nutrition Therapy will include:
- A review of your current eating patterns and habits
- Thorough review of your personal nutritional health needs
- An estimate of your current nutritional needs
- A personalized nutrition education for your personal health needs
What are the fees for MNT?
- MNT is covered by Medicaid for Children under 20
- Payment for MNT services are billed at $35 per 15 minutes. This fee, however, can be adjusted on a sliding scale
- WIC participants that have completed 2 appointments are eligible for further MNT services covered by Medicaid
What does Medicaid Cover?
Medicaid covers 1 hour of initial MNT counseling services and up to 5 hours of follow-up appointments each calendar year. A physician must prescribe these services and renew their referral yearly if continuing counseling is needed into another calendar year.
How do I Prepare for My First Appointment?
- Arrive 10 minutes early
- Bring Insurance or Medicaid Card
- Bring Co-pay, if Applicable
- Fill out pre-appointment questionnaire